Emily Movie (2022):
Emily is a Hollywood romantic biographical drama film written and directed by Frances O’Connor in her directorial debut. The film stars Emma Mackey in the titular role along with Fionn Whitehead, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Alexandra Dowling, Amelia Gething, Adrian Dunbar, and Gemma Jones in supporting roles.
It is a part-fictional portrait of English writer Emily Brontë, concentrating on a fictional romantic relationship with the young curate William Weightman. The film was announced in May 2020, and filming began in Yorkshire on 16 April 2021 and concluded on 26 May.
Emily premiered at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival before being theatrically released in the United Kingdom by Warner Bros. Pictures on 14 October 2022, and in the United States by Bleecker Street on 17 February 2023.
Emily Movie Information:
|Release Dates||9 September 2022 (TIFF)|
14 October 2022 (United Kingdom)
17 February 2023 (United States)
|Running Time||2h 10m|
|Directed by||Frances O’Connor|
|Written by||Frances O’Connor|
|Produced by||Jo Bamford|
|Cinematography by||Nanu Segal|
|Edited by||Sam Sneade|
|Music by||Abel Korzeniowski|
|Production Companies||Embankment Films|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures (United Kingdom)|
Bleecker Street (United States)
|Box Office Collection||TBA|
Emily Movie Trailer:
Emily Movie Posters & Photos:
Emily Movie Storyline (Plot/Synopsis):
EMILY imagines Emily Brontë’s own Gothic story that inspired her seminal novel, “Wuthering Heights.” Haunted by the death of her mother, Emily struggles within the confines of her family life and yearns for artistic and personal freedom, and so begins a journey to channel her creative potential into one of the greatest novels of all time.
Emily Movie Cast and Characters:
- Emma Mackey as Emily Brontë: who writes Wuthering Heights during the film after her breakup with Weightman.
- Fionn Whitehead as Branwell Brontë: Emily’s wayward brother, who dislikes Weightman, and who decides not to give her Weightman’s note of reconciliation.
- Oliver Jackson-Cohen as William Weightman (1814–1842): the young local curate who died of cholera, and for whom historians have debated whether Anne was in love with him; in the film, he is portrayed as having a brief but deep romantic relationship with Emily that ends in a traumatic breakup.
- Alexandra Dowling as Charlotte Brontë: Emily’s older sister, who is shown about to begin to write at the end of the film.
- Amelia Gething as Anne Brontë: Emily’s younger sister, who is never shown writing her works in the film.
- Adrian Dunbar as Patrick Brontë: Emily’s father, who is portrayed as trying, often in vain, to find careers for his children.
- Gemma Jones as Aunt Branwell: who is portrayed as the main help in the house after the death of their mother, Maria Branwell
Interesting Facts About Emily Movie:
- Frances O’Connor’s directorial debut.
- Amelia Gething’s debut.
- The film received three awards at the Dinard British Film Festival: Golden Hitchcock, Best Performance Award for Emma Mackey, and Audience Award.
- Emily Beecham and Joe Alwyn were originally cast but both dropped out before filming began.
- Emma Mackey went nude in the film for the second time in her career. Her first nude appearance was in the film Eiffel.