Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-1) (2022):
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS1) is an Indian historical action drama film directed by Mani Ratnam and stars Vikram, Karthi, Jayam Ravi, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Trisha Krishnan, Sobhita Dhulipala, Prakash Raj and Jayaram.
Produced by Ratnam and Allirajah Subaskaran under Madras Talkies and Lyca Productions, it is the first of two cinematic parts based on Kalki Krishnamurthy’s 1955 novel Ponniyin Selvan. It was originally intended to be a stand-alone film but it was later split into two parts.
The film’s music is composed by A. R. Rahman, with cinematography handled by Ravi Varman, editing done by A. Sreekar Prasad, and production design by Thota Tharani. The film was shot in various places across India, with a few sequences being shot in Thailand.
Ponniyin Selvan: I was released in theatres worldwide on 30 September 2022 in standard and IMAX formats, where it received positive reviews from film critics, who praised the direction, cast performances, musical score, visuals, and faithfulness to the novel.
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-I) Movie Information:
|Movie||Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-1)|
|Also known as||Ponniyin Selvan: Part One|
|Release date||September 30, 2022|
|Running time||2hr 46min|
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
|Directed by||Mani Ratnam|
|Screenplay by||Mani Ratnam|
|Dialogues by||B. Jeyamohan|
|Narrated by||Kamal Haasan|
|Based on||Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki Krishnamurthy|
|Produced by||Mani Ratnam|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Music by||A. R. Rahman|
|Production Companies||Madras Talkies|
|Distributed by||Red Giant Movies (Tamil Nadu)|
Sri Venkateswara Creations (Andhra Pradesh & Telangana)
K Senthil (Karnataka)
Sree Gokulam Movies (Kerala)
Pen India Limited (North India)
Lyca Productions in association with Tentkotta (Overseas)
|Budget||₹500 crore is spread across two parts|
|Box Office Collection||est. ₹500 crore|
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-I) Movie Trailer:
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-I) Movie Storyline (Plot):
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-I) is based on Kalki Krishnamurthy’s 1955 novel Ponniyin Selvan. Vandiyathevan, sets out to cross the Chola land to deliver a message from Crown Prince Adithya Karikalan. Kundavai attempts to establish political peace in the land seemingly civil war plotted by vassals and petty chieftains.
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS-I) Movie Cast and Characters:
- Vikram as Aditya Karikalan, the crown prince and the commander of Northern troops in Sundara Chola’s Reign and Arulmozhivarman’s elder brother.
- Jayam Ravi as Arulmozhivarman or Ponniyin Selvan, later known as the great Raja Raja chola, a Chola emperor.
- Karthi as Vallavaraiyan Vandiyadevan, the brave, adventurous, and sarcastic warrior prince of Vannar.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as Nandini and Mandakini Devi.
- Jayaram as Azhwarkadiyan Nambi alias Thirumalaiappan, a Veera Vaishnavite spy who works for the Prime Minister and Sembiyan Mahadevi.
- Trisha as Kundavai Pirattiyar, also known as Illaiya Piratti, the Chola princess and daughter of Emperor Sundara Chola.
- Sobhita Dhulipala as Vaanathi, also known as Kodambalur Ilavarasi, a shy Kodumbalur princess.
- Aishwarya Lekshmi as Poonguzhali, also known as Samuthirakumari (transl. ”The princess of the ocean”), a boat woman who lives in Kodikarai.
- Vikram Prabhu as Parthibendra Pallavan, a friend of Aditya Karikalan, who comes from the lineage of Pallavas.
- Ashwin Kakumanu as Senthan Amudhan, a flower seller.
- R. Sarathkumar as Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar, the chancellor and treasurer of the Chola kingdom from the Paluvettaraiyar clan who was respected for his valor and 64 scars he got in battles.
- R. Parthiban as Chinna Pazhuvettaraiyar, the chief in-charge of Thanjavur fort.
- Prabhu as Periya Vellar Boothi Vikramakesari, the Irunkovel chieftain, uncle of Vaanathi and the Commander of the southern troops during Sundara Chola’s reign.
- Prakash Raj as Sundara Chola alias Parantaka Chola II, the emperor of Chola empire, also known for his beauty giving him the name Sundara.
- Rahman as Madurantakar alias Amarabhujangan Nedunchezhiyan, the son of Sembiyan Mahadevi who was raised as a Shaivite.
- Aswin Rao as Kandhamaaran, also known as Illaiya Sambuvaraiyan, the prince of Kadamboor.
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Kadmabur Sambuvaraiyar, the petty ruler of Kadamboor from the Sambuvaraya family.
- Lal as Tirukoilur Malaiyaman alias Milaadudaiyar, the father-in-law of Sundara Chola and maternal grandfather for his children.
- Vidya Subramanian as Vanavan Mahadevi, the Empress of the Chola empire.
- Jayachitra as Sembiyan Mahadevi aka Periya Piratti, the wife of Gandaraditya and mother of Utthama Chola.
- Nassar as Veerapandiya
- Kishore as Ravi Dasan, the antagonist of the novel Ponniyin Selvan.
- Riyaz Khan as Soman Sambhavan one of the members of Pandya Aabathudavigal.
- Vinay Kumar as Parameswaran or Theveraalan one of the members of Pandya Aabathudavigal.
- Mohan Raman as Kudanthai Jothidar, the astrologer in the town of Kudanthai (present-day Kumbakonam).
- Vinodhini Vaidyanathan as Vasuki, maid of Nandini.
- Master Raghavan as Pandya prince.
- Makarand Deshpande as Chief Kaalamugar.
- Balaji Sakthivel.
- Vijay Yesudas.
- Arjun Chidambaram.
- Babu Antony.
- Amzath Khan.
Interesting Facts About Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS1) Movie:
- Expected to be made in Tamil at a cost of ₹100 crores, Ratnam planned to produce the film himself initially, with the intention of teaming up with a bigger production house later on in the film-making process.
- As per director Mani Ratnam’s advice, several actors from the film including Vikram, Jayam Ravi, and Karthi grew their hair long for their roles in the film.
- The story thread of Ponniyin Selvan spans years and more than 50 characters, with 15 principal roles.
- Trisha trained in horseriding at the Madras School of Equitation for this film, where she was enrolled for a special course on 26 October 2020, and completed within 14 November 2020.
- Ponniyin Selvan was originally planned as a single film with a budget of ₹500 crore. Later, it was split into two parts that were to be shot back-to-back, with some sources reporting that a budget of ₹500 crore is spread across two parts.
- It was reported that, Karthi faced an accident while he was shooting in Hyderabad, where he was thrown up in the air, while riding a horse, however, he faced only minor injuries.
- Vikram has dubbed for himself for five languages for the film, in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada, but only in the trailer. Both Jayam Ravi and Karthi dubbed for the Tamil and the Telugu versions of the film
- In September 2021, the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) filed a lawsuit against Mani Ratnam in connection with the death of a horse allegedly during the film’s shooting in Hyderabad in August 2021.
Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS1) Movie Soundtrack:
The film’s music is composed by A. R. Rahman.
CLICK HERE>> Ponniyin Selvan: I (PS1) Movie Album