Bigil Movie Details:
|Hindi, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam
|Sports, Action, Drama
|October 25, 2019
|OTT Release date
|January 15, 2020
S. Ramana Girivasan
|Kalpathi S. Aghoram
Kalpathi S. Ganesh
Kalpathi S. Suresh
|G. K. Vishnu
A. R. Rahman
A. R. Rahman
|Screen Scene Media Entertainment
Bigil Movie Cast & Characters:
- Vijay in a dual role as:
- Michael Rayappan, a gangster turned coach of the Tamil Nadu women’s football team and former footballer who played as “Bigil”.
- Rayappan, Michael’s father, a crime boss
- Nayanthara as Dr Angel Aasirvatham, Michael’s love interest and a physiotherapist who later becomes the team’s official Physiotherapist
- Jackie Shroff as J.K. Sharma, All India Football Federation president
- Kathir as Kathir, Michael’s teammate
- Vivek as Nessi
- Daniel Balaji as Daniel, a drug-dealer and gangster
- Anandaraj as Anand
- Yogi Babu as Donald
- I. M. Vijayan as Alex, Daniel’s father
- Arjan Bajwa as Samar, Coach of Manipur Women’s Football Team and rival of Michael (cameo)
- Indhuja Ravichandran as Vembu
- Amritha Aiyer as Thendral, the Tamil Nadu team captain
- Reba Monica John as Anitha
- Varsha Bollamma as Gayathri Sudarshan
- Indraja Shankar as Pandiyamma
- Gayathri Reddy as Maari
It revolves around Michael Rayyapan alias Bigil, a footballer-turned-gangster who decides to coach a women’s football team when their coach gets attacked. He faces challenges when his team does not cooperate with him due to his violent background and also finds himself hunted by some rivals who want revenge.
Bigil Movie Box Office Collection & Budget:
|₹285–305 crore (estimated)
About Bigil Movie:
- The film was officially announced on 14 November 2018, under its working title Thalapathy 63 (referring to Vijay’s 63rd film as an actor), and it further marked the third collaboration of Vijay and Atlee after Theri and Mersal.
- Principal photography for this film commenced on 21 January 2019, where predominantly took place around Chennai, with a minor schedule in Delhi, and ended on 14 August.
- The film’s title Bigil, was announced on 22 June 2019, along with the first look poster. The film has music composed by A. R. Rahman, with cinematography handled by G. K. Vishnu and editing done by Ruben.
- Bigil was released on 25 October 2019, coinciding with the occasion of Diwali, where it received mixed to positive reviews from critics with praise for Vijay’s performance, action sequences, social message and direction, but criticism was aimed at formulaic screenwriting and excessive length.
- The film emerged as the highest-grossing Tamil film of 2019, collecting around ₹285–300 crore upon its release, it further became the one of the highest-grossing Tamil film of all time and Vijay’s highest-grossing film in his career at that time.
- The film completed its 100-day theatrical run on 1 February 2020, and also won two awards each at the Zee Cine Awards Tamil, Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards, three Edison Awards and a SIIMA Award.
- The satellite rights of the film were secured by Sun TV Network which also secured the rights for the film’s dubbed versions in other South Indian languages also. The global television premiere of Bigil took place on Sun TV on 15 January 2020, coinciding with the Thai Pongal festival, and registered a TRP rating of 23.5, with 16473 crore impressions. The digital rights were sold to Amazon Prime Video. Bigil along with its dubbed Telugu version Whistle was premiered through the streaming platform on 13 December 2019. The film’s dubbed Kannada and Malayalam versions were released through Sun NXT. The Hindi dubbed version was premiered on Goldmines TV channel on 23 October 2022.