Captain Marvel Movie Details:
|Superhero, Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
|February 27, 2019 (London)
March 8, 2019 (United States)
Samuel L. Jackson
|Walt Disney Studios
Captain Marvel Movie Cast & Characters:
- Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Vers / Captain Marvel: An ex-U.S. Air Force fighter pilot and member of an elite Kree military unit called Starforce.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury: The future director of S.H.I.E.L.D., who at this time is a low-level bureaucrat.
- Ben Mendelsohn as Talos and Keller: He is the shape-shifting leader of the Skrulls who goes undercover at S.H.I.E.L.D. as Fury’s boss, Keller.
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath: A Kree swordsman and second-in-command of Starforce.
- Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser: A high-ranking Kree official.
- Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau: One of Danvers’ oldest friends and a fellow Air Force pilot.
- Gemma Chan as Minn-Erva: A Kree sniper and member of Starforce.
- Annette Bening as the Supreme Intelligence and Mar-Vell / Dr. Wendy Lawson:
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson: A rookie agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Jude Law as Yon-Rogg: The commander of Starforce and Danvers’ mentor.
- Algenis Pérez Soto as Att-Lass: the marksman of the team.
- Rune Temte as Bron-Char: the “bigger, stronger guy who fights with his fists”.
After crashing an experimental aircraft, Air Force pilot Carol Danvers is discovered by the Kree and trained as a member of the elite Starforce Military under the command of her mentor Yon-Rogg. Six years later, after escaping to Earth while under attack by the Skrulls, Danvers begins to discover there’s more to her past. With help from S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury, they set out to unravel the truth.
Captain Marvel Movie Box Office Collection & Budget:
About Captain Marvel Movie:
- Captain Marvel is an American superhero film based on Marvel Comics featuring the character Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel.
- It is the 21st film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and as part of Phase Three of the MCU.
- A sequel, The Marvels, is scheduled for release on November 10, 2023.
- Development of the film began by May 2013. It was officially announced in October 2014 as Marvel Studios’ first female-led superhero film.
- Nicole Perlman and Meg LeFauve were hired to write the film the following April after submitting separate takes on the character, and borrowed elements from Roy Thomas’ 1971 “Kree–Skrull War” comic book storyline.
- Brie Larson was announced as Danvers at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con, with Boden and Fleck hired to direct in April 2017.
- Robertson-Dworet was soon hired to re-write the script, with the rest of the cast added by the start of filming.
- Location shooting began in January 2018, with principal photography starting that March in California and concluding in Louisiana in July 2018.
- Several actors reprise their roles from previous MCU films in Captain Marvel, including Jackson and Gregg who were digitally de-aged in post-production to reflect the film’s 1990s setting.
- Captain Marvel premiered in London on February 27, 2019, and in Hollywood on March 4. The Hollywood premiere included a flyover by the United States Air Force Thunderbirds in honor of Thunderbirds pilot Major Stephen Del Bagno, who consulted with Larson on the film before dying in a training accident in April 2018. The film was released in the United States on March 8, coinciding with International Women’s Day. It was also released in IMAX and 3D formats. It was originally scheduled for release on July 6, 2018, but in February 2015 it was moved to November 2, 2018, to make room for Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), and in October 2015 it was pushed to its final March 2019 date for Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018). The film’s release in Pakistan was delayed for four weeks. At the time, Disney’s South Asia division, which is headquartered in India, had not given Pakistan the rights to distribute it. Commentators online speculated that this was due to ongoing Indo-Pakistani tensions, but Disney South Asia head Nadeem Mandviwalla called this statement “baseless”. Captain Marvel is part of Phase Three of the MCU.
- Captain Marvel grossed over $1.1 billion worldwide, making it the first female-led superhero film to pass the billion-dollar mark. It became the fifth-highest-grossing film of 2019 and the 23rd-highest-grossing film of all time during its theatrical run.
- The film received generally positive reviews from critics with praise for the performances of the cast, particularly that of Larson.
- Captain Marvel was the first Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures-distributed film not to stream on Netflix, after Disney let their licensing deal with Netflix expire. It became the first theatrical Disney release to stream exclusively on Disney+, which launched on November 12, 2019. The film was released on digital download by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment on May 28, 2019, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD on June 11. The digital and Blu-ray releases include behind-the-scenes featurettes, deleted scenes, and gag reels. Captain Marvel has made over $64.2 million from video sales in the U.S. The IMAX Enhanced version of the film was made available on Disney+ beginning on November 12, 2021.