Chhapaak is based on the real-life story of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal.
Chhapaak Movie Details
Based on: The real-life story of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal
Available on: streaming-platform
Theatrical Release Date: January 10, 2020
Budget: ₹36 crore
Worldwide Collection: ₹55.44 crore
Domestic Collection: ₹40.57 crore
Overseas Collection: ₹14.87 crore
Production & Distribution Company
About Chhapaak Movie
- Chhapaak is based on the real-life story of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal.
- The film marked Padukone’s production debut, and acting comeback after two years since Padmaavat (2018).
- Shooting took place from March to June 2019 in locations near New Delhi and Mumbai.
- The film was released worldwide on 10 January 2020 and allowed by the government to be exhibited without payment of taxes in the states of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- Followіng the fіlm’s release, the state of Uttarakhand announced a new pensіon scheme for acіd attack survіvors.
- On 7 January 2020, Padukone joined a protest-gathering at Jawaharlal Nehru University against the 2020 JNU Attack against left wing students and passage of CAA 2019. The visit angered BJP leaders who expressed it in social media. Soon enough, the hashtags BoycottChhapaak and BlockDeepika began trending in Indian Twitter with members of the incumbent Bharatiya Janata Party contributing in its proliferation.
- Chhapaak was released worldwide on 10 January 2020 in cinemas, the film was declared tax-free in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. Although it wasn’t commercially successful, Padukone was widely praised for her portrayal of an acid attack survivor.