Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Movie (2022):
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (Also known as Pinocchio) is a Hollywood stop-motion animated musical fantasy drama film directed by Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson. It was written by Guillermo del Toro and Patrick McHale and stars the voices of Gregory Mann, Ewan McGregor, David Bradley, Finn Wolfhard, and Cate Blanchett.
It is based on Gris Grimly’s design from his 2002 edition of the 1883 Italian novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. Produced by Netflix Animation, The Jim Henson Company, and ShadowMachine, Pinocchio was announced by Del Toro in 2008 and originally scheduled to be released in 2013 or 2014, but the project went into development hell. In January 2017, McHale was announced to co-write the script, but in November 2017, the production was suspended as no studios were willing to provide financing. The production was revived the following year after being acquired by Netflix.
The film had its world premiere at the BFI London Film Festival on October 15, 2022. It was released in select cinemas on November 9, 2022, before its streaming release on December 9 by Netflix.
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Movie Information:
|Movie Name||Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio|
|Also known as||Pinocchio|
|Release Dates||October 15, 2022 (BFI LFF)|
November 25, 2022 (United States)
December 9, 2022 (Netflix)
|Running Time||1h 57m|
|Based on||The Adventures of Pinocchio|
by Carlo Collodi
|Directed by||Guillermo del Toro|
|Written by||Guillermo del Toro|
|Produced by||Guillermo del Toro|
|Cinematography by||Frank Passingham|
|Edited by||Ken Schretzmann|
|Music by||Alexandre Desplat|
|Production Companies||Netflix Animation|
The Jim Henson Company
Double Dare You Productions
El Taller del Chucho
|Box Office Collection||N/A|
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Movie Trailer:
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Movie Storyline (Plot/Synopsis):
A retelling of the famous Carlo Collodi fairytale about a wooden puppet who comes to life and dreams of becoming a real boy takes place in 1930s Fascist Italy. When Pinocchio comes to life, however, he turns out not to be a nice boy but instead the opposite, causing mischief and playing mean tricks. But at its core, Pinocchio is “a story of love and disobedience as Pinocchio struggles to live up to his father’s expectations, learning the true meaning of life.”
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Movie Voice Cast and Characters:
- Gregory Mann as Pinocchio: an exuberant and rowdy living wooden puppet and the main protagonist.
- Ewan McGregor as Sebastian J. Cricket: a travelling cricket who lives inside Pinocchio as his guide and conscious.
- David Bradley as Master Geppetto: Pinocchio’s father and a heartbroken woodcarver who grieves for his deceased son, Carlo.
- Christoph Waltz as Count Volpe: an ambitious former aristocrat living in destitution and the main antagonist. He is an amalgamation of The Fox and the Cat and Mangiafuoco from the original Pinocchio story.
- Tilda Swinton as the Turquoise Fairy: a wise magical fairy who sees the spirit that gave Pinocchio life.
- Ron Perlman as the Podestà: Candlewick’s father and a fascist government official who turns Pinocchio into a soldier.
- Finn Wolfhard as Candlewick: the Podestà’s son who bullies Pinocchio before befriending him.
- Cate Blanchett as Sprezzatura the Monkey: Count Volpe’s mistreated monkey assistant who befriends and helps Pinocchio.
- Tim Blake Nelson
- Burn Gorman
- John Turturro