Parasite Movie (2019):
Parasite is a South Korean black comedy thriller film directed by Bong Joon-ho, who co-wrote the screenplay with Han Jin-won. The film, starring Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam, Jang Hye-jin, Park Myung-hoon, and Lee Jung-eun,
Parasite was rated as the best film of 2019 and was ranked 7th among the films with the highest scores of the decade. As of 20 November 2021, it is the 48th highest-rated film of all time on the website. The film ranked first in a survey by IndieWire of over 300 critics, in the Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Foreign Film categories.
Principal photography for Parasite began on 18 May 2018 and ended 124 days later on 19 September 2018. Filming took place around Seoul and in Jeonju. The technical crew comprised cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo, film editor Yang Jin-mo, and composer Jung Jae-il. Darcy Paquet, an American film critic, and author provided English translations for the film’s international release.
Parasite premiered at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival on 21 May 2019, where it became the first Korean film to win the Palme d’Or. It was then released in South Korea by CJ Entertainment on 30 May. The film received highly positive reviews from critics.
Parasite Movie Information:
|Release Dates||21 May 2019 (Cannes)|
30 May 2019 (South Korea)
|Running Time||2hr 12min|
|Directed by||Bong Joon-ho|
|Screenplay by||Bong Joon-ho|
|Story by||Bong Joon-ho|
|Produced by||Kwak Sin-ae|
|Cinematography by||Hong Kyung-pyo|
|Edited by||Yang Jin-mo|
|Music by||Jung Jae-il|
|Production Company||Barunson E&A|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Budget||₩17.0 billion (~$15.5 million)|
|Box Office Collection||$263.1 million|
Parasite Movie Storyline (Plot/Synopsis):
The film follows a poor family who scheme to become employed by a wealthy family and infiltrate their household by posing as unrelated, highly qualified individuals.
Parasite Movie Trailer:
Parasite Movie Cast and Characters:
- Song Kang-ho as Kim Ki-taek (Mr Kim; 김기택; Gim Gitaek): the father of the Kim family who is hired as Park Dong-ik’s chauffeur.
- Lee Sun-kyun as Park Dong-ik (Nathan; 박동익; Bak Dongik): the father of the Park family.
- Cho Yeo-jeong as Choi Yeon-gyo (Madame; 최연교; Choe Yeongyo): the mother of the Park family.
- Choi Woo-shik as Kim Ki-woo (Kevin; 김기우; Gim Giu): the son of the Kim family who is hired as Da-hye’s English tutor. Choi Woo-shik stated that the character is intelligent but does not have the vigour needed to succeed in examinations.
- Park So-dam as Kim Ki-jung (Jessica; 김기정; Gim Gijeong): the daughter of the Kim family who is hired as Da-song’s art therapist.
- Jang Hye-jin as Chung-sook (박충숙; Bak Chungsuk): the mother of the Kim family who is hired as the housekeeper for the Park family.
- Park Myung-hoon as Oh Geun-sae (오근세; O Geunse): Moon-gwang’s husband.
- Lee Jung-eun as Gook Moon-gwang (국문광; Guk Mungwang): the housekeeper for the Park family, who also worked for the architect and previous owner of the house. Bong Joon-ho said her relationship with the architect and parts of her story “that happen in between the sequences in the film” will be explored in the spin-off television series.
- Jung Ji-so as Park Da-hye (박다혜; Bak Dahye): the daughter of the Park family.
- Jung Hyeon-jun as Park Da-song (박다송; Bak Dasong): the son of the Park family.
- Park Keun-rok as Yoon (윤; Yun): Park Dong-ik’s chauffeur.
- Park Seo-joon as Min-hyuk (민혁; Minhyeok): Ki-woo’s friend.
- Jung Yi-seo as Pizza parlour owner.
Interesting Facts About Parasite Movie:
- The film is only shot in 77 days.
- The Parks’ house, said in the film to be designed by a fictional architect named Namgoong Hyeonja, was a set completely built from scratch.
- This is the fourth film on which director Bong Joon Ho and actor Song Kang-ho collaborated.
- At the Munich Film Festival, Bong Joon Ho said that he does not like screenwriting, and that it makes him nervous and insufferable to his family. The idea for Parasite has existed since 2015, and the final script was written in three and a half months.
- The third film to win both the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Award for Best Picture, after The Lost Weekend (1945) and Marty (1955). Of the three films, only this and the latter won unanimously at Cannes.
- Both families’ homes were built from scratch as Bong Joon-ho wanted “full control” of their living spaces. The street outside the opening window is all a facade constructed inside a large water tank.
- Nominated for six Academy Awards (2020). It won four: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best international Feature. It was also nominated for Best Film Editing and Best Production Design, but did not win in those categories.
- First South Korean film to be nominated and to win the Oscar for “Best International Film” (2020) which was also the first year the category was renamed from “Best Foreign Film”.
- This film is in the Official Top 250 Narrative Feature Films on Letterboxd.
Where To Watch Parasite Movie Online (Parasite Movie OTT Release Date):
List of Awards Received by Parasite Movie:
|Award||Date of Ceremony||Category|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||8 December 2019||Best Film|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||8 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Vancouver International Film Festival||11 October 2019||Super Channel People’s Choice Award|
|Vancouver Film Critics Circle||16 December 2019||Best Film|
|Utah Film Critics Association Awards||23 December 2019||Best Picture|
|Turkish Film Critics Association||7 January 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|Tromsø International Film Festival||19 January 2020||The Tromsø Audience Award|
|Toronto Film Critics Association||8 September 2019||Best Film|
|Sydney Film Festival||16 June 2019||Best Film|
|St. Louis Film Critics Association||15 December 2019||Best Foreign Film|
|Southeastern Film Critics Association Awards||9 December 2019||Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Seattle Film Critics Society||16 December 2019||Best Picture, Best Ensemble and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Saturn Awards||26 October 2021||Best International Film|
|São Paulo International Film Festival||30 October 2019||Audience Award ― Best International Fiction Film|
|San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle||16 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|San Diego Film Critics Society||9 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Robert Awards||26 January 2020||Best Non-English Language Film|
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards||17 December 2019||PFCS TOP TEN and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Online Film Critics Society||6 January 2020||Best Picture, Best Film Not in the English Language and |
Technical Achievement Award – Best Production Design
|Oklahoma Film Critics Circle Awards||15 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|New York Film Critics Online||7 December 2019||Top 10 Films, Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|National Society of Film Critics||4 January 2020||Best Picture|
|National Board of Review||3 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Mainichi Film Awards||17 February 2021||Best Foreign Film|
|Los Angeles Film Critics Association||11 January 2020||Best Film|
|London Critics’ Circle Film Awards||30 January 2020||Film of the Year|
|Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards||13 December 2019||Best Foreign Film|
|Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||13 November 2019||Best Film and Top 10 Films of the Year|
|Kansas City Film Critics Circle||15 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Japan Academy Film Prize||19 March 2021||Outstanding Foreign Language Film|
|International Film Festival Cinematik||15 September 2019||Audience Award|
|International Film Festival Awards Macao||8 October 2019||Asian Blockbuster Film 2019|
|International Cinephile Society Awards||5 February 2020||Best Ensemble|
|IndieWire Critics Poll||16 December 2019||Best Film|
|Indiana Film Journalists Association||16 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Independent Spirit Awards||8 February 2020||Best International Film|
|IGN Awards||21 December 2019||Best Movie of the Year|
|Houston Film Critics Society||2 January 2020||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Hollywood Critics Association Awards||9 January 2020||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Guldbagge Awards||20 January 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|Grande Prêmio do Cinema Brasileiro||11 October 2020||Best Foreign Long Film|
|Grand Bell Awards||3 June 2020||Best Film|
|Golden Globe Awards||5 January 2020||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Georgia Film Critics Association||10 January 2020||Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Fotogramas de Plata||12 November 2019||Best Foreign Film|
|Film from the South||16 November 2019||Audience Award|
|Festival SESC Melhores Filmes||19 August 2020||Best International Film|
|Fantastic Fest||26 September 2019||Audience Award|
|Dorian Awards||8 January 2020||Film of the Year and Foreign Language Film of the Year|
|Días de Cine Awards||14 January 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|Detroit Film Critics Society||9 December 2019||Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|David di Donatello Awards||3 April 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|Dallas–Fort Worth Film Critics Association||16 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Critics’ Choice Movie Awards||12 January 2020||Best Foreign Language Film|
|Crested Butte Film Festival||29 September 2019||Best Narrative Film|
|Columbus Film Critics Association Awards||2 January 2020||Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Cinema Writers Circle Awards||20 January 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|24 December 2019||24 December 2019||Best Film of The Year|
|Chlotrudis Awards||25 March 2020||Performance by an Ensemble Cast|
|Chicago Film Critics Association||14 December 2019||Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|César Awards||28 February 2020||Best Foreign Film|
|Calgary International Film Festival||3 October 2019||Fan Favourite Award|
|Buil Film Awards||4 October 2019||Best Film|
|British Independent Film Awards||1 December 2019||Best International Independent Film|
|Boston Society of Film Critics||15 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film and Best Picture|
|Boston Online Film Critics Association||14 December 2019||Best Foreign Language Film and Top 10 Best Films of the Year|
|Bodil Awards||29 February 2020||Best Non-American Film|
|Blue Ribbon Awards||24 February 2021||Best Foreign Film|
|Blue Dragon Film Awards||21 November 2019||Best Film|
|Black Film Critics Circle Awards||19 December 2019||Best Foreign Film|
|Bandung Film Festival||22 November 2019||Honorable Imported Films|
|Baeksang Arts Awards||5 June 2020||Best Film|
|Australian Film Critics Association||7 February 2020||Best International Film (Foreign Language)|
|Austin Film Critics Association||6 January 2020||Best Film and Best Foreign Language Film|
|Atlanta Film Critics Circle||2 December 2019||Top 10 Films and Best Foreign Language Film|
|American Film Institute Awards||3 January 2020||AFI Special Award|
|Alliance of Women Film Journalists||10 January 2020||Best Film and Best Non-English Language Film|
|African-American Film Critics Association||10 December 2019||Best Foreign Film|
|Academy Awards||9 February 2020||Best Picture|