The son of a fishing community falls for a village head’s daughter, but they face violent opposition from the girl’s doggedly old-fashioned father.
Uppena Movie Details
Available on: streaming-platform
Budget: ₹13–15 crore
Worldwide Collection: ₹83−100 crore
Production & Distribution Company
About Uppena Movie
- In mid-October 2018, Sukumar decided to back the project of the untitled film, helmed by his former assistant Buchi Babu Sana, in his directorial debut.
- Mythri Movie Makers, eventually collaborated with Sukumar Writings, the director’s home banner, to co-produce the film.
- The makers roped Panja Vaisshnav Tej to play the lead role, marking his debut in film industry, and Sukumar’s regular collaborator Devi Sri Prasad was roped in to score music for the film.
- The film is reportedly set in the backdrop of Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, and deals with the issue of honor killings, with Vaisshnav Tej, essaying the role of a fisherman.
- In March 2019, Vijay Sethupathi was roped in to play the antagonist, in his second Telugu film after Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy.
- On 6 May 2019, the makers revealed the film’s title as Uppena. Initially, it was speculated that the film would be titled Jalari, the title Uppena was finalized and registered in the Film Chamber.
- The launch event of the film was held on 21 January 2019, at the office of Mythri Movie Makers, with Vaisshnav Tej’s relatives, including actors Chiranjeevi, Nagendra Babu, Allu Aravind, Allu Arjun, Sai Dharam Tej, Varun Tej, Niharika Konidela, among others, attending the event.
- Four months later, the principal photography of the film started on 25 May 2019. The film was shot for 35 days in Kakinada. On 21 August 2019, Vijay Sethupathi joined the sets and it was reported that 40 percent of the film was completed.
- The film was later shot in Hyderabad and was completed in late-September 2019. The second schedule took place in October 2019 for 90 days at Puri, Kolkata, and Gangtok. A few scenes were shot at Jagannath Temple, Puri.
- In January 2020, the makers completed the shooting of the film and started post-production work.
- After Tamil actor Sethupathi deciding not to dub for his character in Telugu language citing his voice might not suit the character, director Buchi Babu Sana hired P. Ravi Shankar for the dubbing of the character. He completed the dubbing work in three days in Hyderabad. The majority of the post-production work was completed by June 2020.
- A pre-release event was held on 6 February 2021 for promoting the film in Hyderabad, with actor Chiranjeevi as the chief guest. A success meet was held on 17 February 2021 at Rajahmundry, with actor Ram Charan as the chief guest.
- The film is released theatrically on 12 February 2021 and was commercially successful at the box office. Uppena emerged as the highest-grossing Telugu film for a debut actor, surpassing the record of Chirutha (2007).
- The film is loosely based on the 1998 Tamil film Nilaave Vaa.