Women Talking Movie Details:
|Women Talking by Miriam Toews
|September 2, 2022 (Telluride)
December 23, 2022 (United States)
Plan B Entertainment
|United Artists Releasing
Women Talking Movie Cast and Characters:
- Rooney Mara as Ona
- Claire Foy as Salome
- Jessie Buckley as Mariche
- Judith Ivey as Agata
- Ben Whishaw as August
- Frances McDormand as Scarface Janz
- Sheila McCarthy as Greta
- Michelle McLeod as Mejal
- Kate Hallett as Autje
- Liv McNeil as Neitje
- August Winter as Melvin
- Kira Guloien as Anna
- Shayla Brown as Helena
- Nathaniel McParland as Aaron
- Eli Ham as Klaas
- Emily Mitchell as Miep
The film follows a group of women in an isolated religious colony as they figure out how they might move forward to build a better world for themselves and their children. Stay and fight or leave. They will not do nothing.
About Women Talking Movie:
- The film is based on Miriam Toews’s 2018 novel of the same name, which was in turn based on a true story of vicious serial rapes in an insular, ultraconservative Mennonite community in Bolivia.
- Principal photography took place from July 19 to September 10, 2021, in Toronto, Canada, with COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
- The film cast includes one Oscar winner: Frances McDormand; and two Oscar nominees: Rooney Mara Rooney Mara and Jessie Buckley.
- Women Talking premiered at the 49th Telluride Film Festival on September 2, 2022, and was released in the United States via select theaters on December 23, 2022, before a wide release on January 27, 2023, by United Artists Releasing.
- The film received positive reviews from critics, who lauded Polley’s screenplay and direction, the performances of the cast (particularly of Foy, Buckley, and Whishaw) and score.
- Women Talking was named one of the top ten films of 2022 by the National Board of Review and the American Film Institute, won Best Adapted Screenplay at the 28th Critics’ Choice Awards, 75th Writers Guild of America Awards, and the 95th Academy Awards, where it was also nominated for Best Picture. It has since been cited as among the best films of the 2020s.
- This is the first film from Orion Pictures to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture since The Silence of the Lambs (1991), a 31-year gap, and the first since it was purchased by MGM in 1997.
- The film was released for VOD on February 21, 2023, followed by a Blu-ray and DVD release on March 7.
- Women Talking grossed $5.5 million in the United States and Canada, and $3.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $9 million.