Captain America: The First Avenger Movie Details:
|Captain America by Joe Simon & Jack Kirby
|Superhero, Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
|July 19, 2011 (El Capitan Theatre)
July 22, 2011 (United States)
Tommy Lee Jones
Captain America: The First Avenger Movie Cast & Characters:
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America: A frail young man who is enhanced to the peak of human ability by an experimental serum in order to aid the United States war effort.
- Tommy Lee Jones as Chester Phillips: A colonel in the United States Army and member of the Strategic Scientific Reserve.
- Hugo Weaving as Johann Schmidt / Red Skull: Adolf Hitler’s head of advanced weaponry and commander of the terrorist organization Hydra.
- Hayley Atwell as Margaret “Peggy” Carter: An officer with the Strategic Scientific Reserve who works with Phillips on the super soldier project.
- Sebastian Stan as James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes: A sergeant in the United States Army, Rogers’ best friend, and member of his squad of commandos.
- Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark: The father of Tony Stark who worked on various government projects dating back to the World War II era.
- Toby Jones as Arnim Zola: A biochemist for the Nazi party.
- Neal McDonough as Timothy “Dum Dum” Dugan: A member of Rogers’ squad of commandos.
- Derek Luke as Gabe Jones: A member of Rogers’ squad of commandos.
- Stanley Tucci as Abraham Erskine: The scientist who created the Super Soldier Serum.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, the director of the super-spy agency, S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Kenneth Choi as Jim Morita, a Japanese-American member of Rogers’ squad of commandos.
It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erskine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erskine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany’s secret HYDRA research department (headed by Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. the Red Skull), Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot; however, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America, and his war against Schmidt begins.
Captain America: The First Avenger Movie Box Office Collection & Budget:
About Captain America: The First Avenger Movie:
- Captain America: The First Avenger is an American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Captain America.
- It is the fifth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) as well as part of Phase One of the MCU.
- Two sequels have been released: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) and Captain America: Civil War (2016).
- The film began as a concept in 1997 and was scheduled for distribution by Artisan Entertainment. However, a lawsuit disrupted the project and was not settled until September 2003. In 2005, Marvel Studios received a loan from Merrill Lynch, and planned to finance and release the film through Paramount Pictures.
- Directors Jon Favreau and Louis Leterrier were interested in directing the project before Johnston was approached in 2008.
- In December 2009, director Joe Johnston indicated that he planned to start filming in April 2010.
- The principal characters were cast between March and June 2010.
- In March 2010, it was reported that Chris Evans was cast as Captain America and Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull; Marvel Studios confirmed the latter in May. Ryan Phillippe, John Krasinski, and Dane Cook were also considered for the role of Captain America.
- Principal photography began on June 28, 2010, with the working title FrostBite.
- Production began in June, and filming took place in London, Manchester, Caerwent, Liverpool, and Los Angeles. Several different techniques were used by the visual effects company Lola to create the physical appearance of the character before he becomes Captain America.
- The film features nearly 1,600 visual effects shots, which were split between thirteen different companies. To achieve the appearance of the skinny, pre-serum Steve Rogers, director Joe Johnston stated that he used two major techniques:
- Most of the shots were done by an L.A. company called LOLA that specializes in digital “plastic surgery.”
- Captain America’s shield, which serves as both a defensive tool and a weapon, came in four types: metal, fiberglass, rubber, and computer graphics (CG).
- The world premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger was held on July 19, 2011, at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, California. The film was screened at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 21, 2011. It was commercially released in the United States and Canada on July 22, 2011. The film was commercially successful, grossing over $370 million worldwide. Critics particularly praised Evans’ performance. Captain America: The First Avenger is part of Phase One of the MCU.
- Captain America: The First Avenger was released by Paramount Home Entertainment on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D and DVD on October 25, 2011. The three-disc set includes the film on Blu-ray in high-definition 3D and in high definition 2D, as well as on standard definition DVD with a digital copy. The two-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack includes a high-definition presentation of the film and a standard-definition presentation with a digital copy. Both sets include over an hour of bonus material, including the short film A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer, a sneak peek of The Avengers, six behind-the-scenes featurettes, and deleted scenes with commentary by director Joe Johnston, director of photography Shelly Johnson and editor Jeff Ford. In its first week of release, Captain America: The First Avenger topped the Blu-ray and DVD sales charts, selling 1.54 million Blu-ray units and 726,000 DVD units and making a combined total of $52.6 million.
- The film was also collected in a 10-disc box set titled “Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One – Avengers Assembled” which includes all of the Phase One films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was released on April 2, 2013. Captain America: The First Avenger was released by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment on Ultra HD Blu-ray on February 26, 2019.