- Development of the film began in 2016 when Murali pitched a story to Prithviraj Sukumaran at the sets of Tiyaan in Ramoji Film City, it was when he decided to make Lucifer his directorial debut.
- The title of the film was taken from an unrealized project of director Rajesh Pillai which was also written by Murali with another story.
- Pre-production of Lucifer began in 2017 and Murali completed the final draft of the screenplay in February 2018.
- Principal photography began in mid-July that year and lasted till January 2019, with filming carried out in Thiruvananthapuram, Idukki, Ernakulam, and Kollam districts, and Mumbai, Bangalore, Lakshadweep, and Russia.
- The film was released in theatres worldwide on 28 March 2019. It was also dubbed and released in other Indian languages. The Telugu dubbed version of the film was released on 12 April 2019. Tamil dubbed version was released on 3 May 2019, distributed by Kalaipuli S. Thanu. On 30 March 2019, Google India released an animated doodle on their Twitter page featuring Mohanlal and Yuvraj Singh playing tennis, with a caption: “The heroes who know how to smash all records”. Lucifer, Miami Open, and Yuvraj Singh topped the Google Trends on the week. Lucifer was released for digital download on 16 May 2019, available as VOD on Amazon Prime Video in Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu languages.
- The satellite rights of the Malayalam version were sold to Asianet. The Tamil version was given to Star Vijay Super, and the Kannada dubbed version was given to Star Suvarna. The Hindi dubbed version was given to Sony Max.
- The film broke many box office records for a Malayalam film, crossing the ₹50 crore (US$6.3 million) mark in four days, ₹100 crore (US$13 million) mark in eight days, and the ₹150 crore (US$19 million) mark in 21 days becoming the fastest Malayalam film to reach all three milestones.
- Lucifer was the first Malayalam film to earn more than ₹200 crore, including its box office collections and the earnings from the sale of its satellite rights and digital streaming rights in other languages. It is currently the third highest-grossing Malayalam film.
- Lucifer is the first installment in a trilogy and will be followed by L2: Empuraan and an untitled sequel, which are in development.
- A Telugu remake titled Godfather was released on 5 October 2022.
Where to Watch Lucifer (Stream)
Trailer, Teaser & Videos
Poster & Photos