Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie (2011):
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is an American fantasy swashbuckler film, the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, and a standalone sequel to At World’s End (2007). It is the first film in the series not to be directed by Gore Verbinski, who was replaced by Rob Marshall. Jerry Bruckheimer again served as producer under the banner of Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films and was released by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
The film stars Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Kevin R. McNally, who reprise their roles from the previous films, and they are joined by Penélope Cruz and Ian McShane. The film draws its plot loosely from the 1987 novel On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Following inflated production costs which ballooned the net budget to $379 million, the film currently ranks as the most expensive film ever made.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was released in the United States on May 20, 2011. The film received mixed reviews and broke many box office records and was the third highest-grossing film of 2011. A fifth film, titled Dead Men Tell No Tales, was released in May 2017, and a sixth film is in development.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie Information:
|Movie Name||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides|
|Also known as||Pirates 4|
|Release Date||May 7, 2011 (Disneyland Resort)|
May 20, 2011 (United States)
|Running Time||2hr 17min|
|Based on||Characters by Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Stuart Beattie, Jay Wolpert|
Walt Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers
Kevin R. McNally
|Directed by||Rob Marshall|
|Written by||Ted Elliott|
|Produced by||Jerry Bruckheimer|
|Cinematography by||Dariusz Wolski|
|Edited by||David Brenner|
|Music by||Hans Zimmer|
|Production Company||Walt Disney Pictures|
Jerry Bruckheimer Films
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios|
|Budget||$410.6 million (gross)|
$378.5 million (net)
|Box Office Collection||$1.046 billion|
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie Trailer:
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie Storyline:
Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past, Angelica (Penélope Cruz), and he’s not sure if it’s love, or if she’s a ruthless con artist who’s using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn’t know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.—IMDb
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie Cast and Characters:
- Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow: Legendary pirate, former captain of the Black Pearl.
- Penélope Cruz as Angelica: Jack’s former love interest, first mate and daughter of Blackbeard.
- Ian McShane as Blackbeard: Legendary pirate, captain of the Queen Anne’s Revenge, and Angelica’s father. McShane was previously considered to play Davy Jones (later portrayed by Bill Nighy) in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.
- Geoffrey Rush as Captain Hector Barbossa: Legendary pirate-turned-privateer, former captain of the Black Pearl, and Jack’s rival.
- Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs: Jack’s friend, and former first mate of the Black Pearl.
- Sam Claflin as Philip Swift: A missionary, kept prisoner aboard Blackbeard’s ship, and Syrena’s love interest.
- Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey as Syrena: A mermaid captured by Blackbeard’s crew, and Philip’s love interest.
- Stephen Graham as Scrum: A self-serving crew member of the Queen Anne’s Revenge.
- Richard Griffiths as King George II
- Greg Ellis as Lt. Cmdr. Theodore Groves: Barbossa’s second-in-command, former second-in-command of Lord Cutler Beckett and Commodore James Norrington’s crew.
- Óscar Jaenada as The Spaniard: King Ferdinand’s most trusted agent.
- Keith Richards as Captain Teague: Legendary pirate and Jack Sparrow’s father.
- Roger Allam as Prime Minister Henry Pelham
- Anton Lesser as Lord John Carteret
- Damian O’Hare as Lieutenant Gillette
- Sebastian Armesto as King Ferdinand
- Juan Carlos Vellido as a Spanish captain
- Judi Dench as a society lady who encounters Jack Sparrow in a carriage.
Interesting Facts About Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Movie:
- It was the first film in the series to be released in the Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3D formats.
- Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio first learned of Powers’ novel during the back-to-back production of Dead Man’s Chest (2006) and At World’s End, and considered it a good starting point for a new film in the series.
- Pre-production started after the end of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, with Depp collaborating with the writers on the story design.
- Principal photography lasted for 106 days between June and November 2010, with locations in Hawaii, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, and California.
- Filming employed 3D cameras similar to those used in the production of the 2009 film Avatar, and ten companies were involved with the film’s visual effects.
- It sold 3.20 million Blu-ray units ($83.46 million) within 11 weeks. It has also sold 1.12 million DVD units ($19.32 million).
- Its television premiere on December 29, 2013, in the UK on BBC One, it was watched by a total of 5.4 million viewers, making it the third-most watched a program that night, according to overnight figures.