A sculptor preparing to open a new show must balance her creative life with the daily dramas of family and friends.
Showing Up Movie Details
Available on: streaming-platform
Worldwide Collection: $1,222,428
Domestic Collection: $754,483
Overseas Collection: $467,945
Production & Distribution Company
About Showing Up Movie
- Principal photography began on June 7, 2021, and ended on July 15, 2021, in Portland, Oregon.
- Michelle Williams’s fourth collaboration with director Kelly Reichardt, following Wendy and Lucy (2008), Meek’s Cutoff (2010), and Certain Women (2016).
- James Le Gros and John Magaro’s second collaboration with Kelly Reichardt, following Certain Women (2016) and First Cow (2019), respectively.
- The art pieces that Lizzy created in the movie have been made by artist Cynthia Lahti, who lives in Portland, and whose work writer-director Kelly Reichardt has followed for a long time. She also happened to be a longtime friend of Jonathan Raymond, who is the co-writer of this movie. Her work was on Reichardt’s mind as she was writing the movie, but when Reichardt first contacted her, she was on the verge of giving up her career. She trained Michelle Williams in sculpting before filming, and while working on the movie, she found a renewed urge to create. By the end of the shoot, she had created so many new pieces that it became difficult to walk inside her workshop.
- In an art imitates life moment, director Kelly Reichardt mentioned that the day after she finished wrapping filming on this movie she was out for a walk and a baby bird fell out of a tree while she was walking and that a woman came along and ended up tending to the injured baby bird.