Ant-Man and the Wasp Movie Details:
|Ant-Man and the Wasp
|Ant-Man by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby
|Action, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-fi, Superhero
|June 25, 2018 (El Capitan Theatre)
July 6, 2018 (United States)
Tip “T.I.” Harris
Abby Ryder Fortson
|Walt Disney Studios
|Box Office Collection
Ant-Man and the Wasp Movie Cast & Characters:
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
- Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne / Wasp
- Michael Peña as Luis
- Walton Goggins as Sonny Burch
- Hannah John-Kamen as Ava Starr / Ghost
- David Dastmalchian as Kurt
- Tip “T.I.” Harris as Dave
- Judy Greer as Maggie
- Bobby Cannavale as Jim Paxton
- Randall Park as Jimmy Woo
- Abby Ryder Fortson as Cassie
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne
- Laurence Fishburne as Bill Foster
- Michael Douglas as Hank Pym
When Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne, along with Hope’s parents, Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne, and Scott’s daughter, Cassie, are accidentally sent to the Quantum Realm, they soon find themselves exploring the Realm, interacting with strange new creatures.
About Ant-Man and the Wasp Movie:
- Ant-Man and the Wasp is an American superhero film based on Marvel Comics featuring the characters Scott Lang / Ant-Man and Hope Pym / Wasp.
- It is the sequel to Ant-Man (2015) and the 20th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and as part of Phase Three of the MCU.
- A sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania was released in February 2023.
- Talks for a sequel to Ant-Man began shortly after that film was released. Ant-Man and the Wasp were officially announced in October 2015, with Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly returning to reprise their roles.
- A month later, Ant-Man director Peyton Reed was officially set to return. He had joined the first film later in its production and was excited to develop this one from the beginning. He also looked forward to introducing Hope van Dyne as the Wasp in this film, and insisted on treating Lang and her as equals.
- Filming took place from August to November 2017, at Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayette County, Georgia, as well as Metro Atlanta; San Francisco; Savannah, Georgia; and Hawaii.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp had its world premiere at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood on June 25, 2018, and was released in the United States on July 6, 2018, where it opened in 4,206 theaters, of which 3,000 were in 3D, 403 were in IMAX, over 660 were in premium large format, and over 220 were in D-Box and 4DX. The film is part of Phase Three of the MCU.
- The film was scheduled to be released in the United Kingdom on June 29, 2018, but was rescheduled in November 2017 to August 3, 2018, in order to avoid competition with the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Charles Gant of The Guardian and Screen International noted, “The worry for film distributors is that audiences will be caught up in the tournament. So it’s easier to play safe and not date your film at this time, especially during the group stage, when all the qualifying nations are competing.” Tom Butler of Yahoo! Movies UK added that, unlike the first film, which was one of the lowest-grossing MCU films in the UK, anticipation levels for the film “are at an all-time high following the events of Infinity War” and “UK audiences will probably have found out what happens in the film well before it opens in UK cinemas, and this could have a negative impact on its box office potential.” Butler and Huw Fullerton of Radio Times both opined the delay could also be in part because of Disney also delaying the United Kingdom release of Incredibles 2 to July 13, 2018 (a month after its United States release), and not wanting to compete with itself with the two films. This in turn led fans in the country to start a Change.org petition to have Disney move the release date up several weeks, similarly to how Avengers: Infinity War’s United States release was moved up a week the previous May.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp was a critical and commercial success, receiving praise for its performances (particularly those of Rudd and Lilly), humor, and levity.
- The film grossed over $622 million worldwide.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp was released on digital download by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment on October 2, 2018, and on Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD on October 16. The digital and Blu-ray releases include behind-the-scenes featurettes, an introduction from Reed, deleted scenes, and gag reels. The digital release also features a look at the role concept art plays in bringing the various MCU films to life and a faux commercial for Online Close-Up Magic University. The IMAX Enhanced version of the film was made available on Disney+ beginning on November 12, 2021.